In addition to all the biosecurity measures in place to ensure that the facility remains disease free, all water leaving the fish production areas including floor drains and processing will undergo extensive treatment of ultrafiltration through 0.04 micron filters equivalent to 1.5748e-6 inches in size before passing through UV disinfection at 300mJ/cm2.
Fish Related Questions
Nordic uses immunization through a vaccination program combined with veterinary monitoring and testing to ensure our fish are healthy without the need for employing antibiotics or medications.
Eggs are sourced from pathogen free broodstock, disinfected prior to entering the farm, and placed under quarantine until they pass a certified health inspection. Every cohort of fish is tested for all pathogens of concern before being released from quarantine.
Incoming water is filtered to such an extent that bacteria, pathogens, parasites, and viruses are removed; water is further sterilized using ultraviolet light before contact with fish.
An accredited veterinarian will work with us to conduct fish health checks in the facility on a regular basis. Staff will be trained to understand fish behavior and appearance to identify early signs of health issues.
Bio-security measures prevent movement of pathogens onto the farm via people, feed, equipment, pests, or other vectors.
The facility is designed to be escape-proof.
- All fish are raised inside secure buildings
- Fish are never outside. They are moved through dedicated underground pipes preventing their escape as they move from one building to another
- The facility has numerous physical barriers specifically employed to prevent fish escapement
- The wastewater treatment facility is impassible by fish.
- All pipes for moving fish are contained on the farm and none terminate at the ocean or bay.
- Even a 2,500 Tsunami event will not over-top tanks
- Security measures to include 24/7 on site staffing, video surveillance, and key card access doors, prevent any manual (human) removal of fish from the facility
The nutritional requirements of the fish can be met with a broad range of ingredients that are derived from crops, agricultural byproduct, and sustainable fisheries. More innovative break-through ingredients include fermented single cell proteins, insect meals, and algae oils.
Feed manufacturing for aquaculture is an innovative, and sustainable-minded industry. Nordic will be working closely with the feed producers to refine our formulations that prioritize the inclusion of non-marine derived protein sources.
Nordic will be utilizing the best technology available to make feed utilization as efficient as possible, with automatic feeders, AI, better recirculating systems, and always improving nutritional knowledge.